Thursday, May 23, 2013

May I see your identification, please?

Have you ever been pulled over by a police officer? One of the questions they will ask you is, "May I see

your identification?" This is a question we as believers need to ask ourselves. Does it seem that when everything in life is going right for us we absolutely know who we are? Our walk is confident. Our words are powerful. Our thoughts are in line & uplifting. We think better about everyone around us. We might even sing with the birds during that chilly spring morning. How about when our world takes a turn for the worse? That moment we get the call we've been waiting for and it is bad news and immediately we take a turn. Do you treat others differently when you're the one now going through something? How about our family? Have we become the irritable mom and not to mention the nagging wife, because we didn't get what we wanted? Oh gees, I hear that loud and clear for me. Sometimes we just need to be reminded about our identification.

I don't know about you, but I don't even have my DL# memorized. Every time I need my number I have to pull out my wallet to look at it. (I can see my hunny bun nodding his head in agreement.) I have had it for a long time now, but because I choose not to memorize it I just hope I have it on me when needed. Are you like that with God's Word? Is God's word hidden in your heart so tightly that when a situation occurs you can quickly respond to it with what His word says? When that report comes in from the doctor's office, are you telling everyone the bad news or are you declaring to yourself the report of the Lord? When your finances are so far gone, are you pulling your hair out trying to figure it all out? Or, does your identification card say "Daughter of the Most High God", "He meets ALL my needs"? If you're not sure, let me give you two examples of people identifying themselves. One is identifying with the problems. One is identifying herself with God's promises. Which one are you?

In Chapter 1 of the book of Ruth you will find two women named Naomi and the other named Ruth. In the midst of their adversity each of these women made a choice in which identification they were going to take on. Naomi took accepted her identification in her problems. She couldn't see past the hurt and disappointment life gave her. She couldn't see a new tomorrow. Some of her characteristics were one who had no hope (a positive expectation), she lost all confidence in who she was and who her God was, she pushed people away who could help her and keep her grounded and rooted in God, she began to have the wrong picture of who God was. She saw God as angry and one who hated her and that was why she experience all that she and her family did. She was wrong! Naomi even changed her name! What!? I know. Crazy. When the people of the town called her by name, which meant "Pleasant one" she told them to call her Mara, or the "Bitter one". What are our friends, family, co workers, and strangers identifying us as? Weak,  backbiter, pity, broke, depressed, unfriendly, ungodly, selfish, bitter? Or, are they saying good things like warrior, happy, joyful, strong, confident, content, church go-er, witness of God's goodness and faithfulness, and overcomer?

Let us take a moment every day to check ourselves. Pull yourself over, look in the mirror, and ask yourself if how we are living our life today is going to be a witness to someone else in need. If you have a hard time finding out who you are in Christ, read the Bible. Start with Ephesians 1, 2 and 3 and you will begin to see yourself as Christ sees you. If you are living your life as a modern day Naomi, repent. Change the way your thinking, acting, and believing. Bad things happen to good people, trust me. I've been there and had many opportunities to get bitter. That does not do anything for us! You are a child of God, you are blessed, you are loved, and you were redeemed from the curse of the law! God has a plan for  your life. Keep your head up, ears open to hear God's word, your heart pure, and be willing for God to change you where change needs to take place.

In Him,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment